The Benefit Bank of SC
Know youth leaving foster care who need to apply for Medicaid? Or who need help with other services like filing their taxes or help getting SNAP (food stamp) benefits?
Free help is available! SC Thrive is an organization that helps people get the resources they need through their online Benefit Bank. They provide personalized help, and youth can apply for all the benefits they need in one interview!
Youth can apply with one of their counselors at an SC Thrive site or over the phone with their Contact Center at 1-800.726.8774. Check out the SC Thrive website for resources and helpful information for youth transitioning out of care. Below are some of the key benefits offered by SC Thrive:
- Healthcare Coverage: Youth who were in foster care at age 18 should already be enrolled in Medicaid and can stay on Medicaid until 26. If youth left care before 18 and are without health insurance, refer them to Insure SC to learn more about low-cost healthcare coverage.
- Medication Assistance: Welvista is a SC Thrive partner that provides prescription medicine to eligible individuals without insurance.
- Food Assistance: SNAP (known as Food Stamps) is a federal program that helps with the cost of groceries. SNAP benefits are given each month on an EBT (Electronic Benefits Transfer) card which works like a debit card.
- Tax Filing Assistance: Youth can use a Self-Serve option or find a SC Thrive Tax Site near them for counselor help with filing their taxes. SC Thrive can help youth file their taxes at no cost at various locations throughout the state, or they can file their own taxes using Thrive Hub, the self-service option on the SC Thrive website.
SC Thrive also offers information and help for:
- Voter Registration
- Completing the FAFSA application for student loans for college
- Military & Veterans Benefits
- Social Security Income (SSI) Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
- Family Independence (FI)
Be sure to check out the SC Thrive website today and let youth with foster care experience with whom you interact know about this great resource!
Thank you for all you do for South Carolina’s youth!