Transition Housing and Assistance

Living on Your Own

Are you about to graduate from high school or just received your GED? Maybe you’ve started that new job you really wanted and are ready to go out and tackle the world on your own! The big question now is “Where am I going to live until I can afford an apartment on my own?” If you’re struggling to find a safe place to live that also provides some guidance about living on your own, check out some of the programs below:

Transitional Living for Young Adults (Lutheran Services Carolinas)
Trained staff help young adults ages 17 to 25 who are homeless or at risk of being homeless find stable housing, find or keep employment, and create supportive relationships within the community to enable them to successfully transition from foster care to independent living.

Hope Center for Children Transitional Living, Spartanburg, SC offers safe shelter for young men and women ages 16 to 21, along with case management and support through 22 years old. This program serves young adults who are aging out of the foster care system or those who do not have a safe place to live. For more information call (864) 814-9432.

United Housing Connections, Greenville, SC offers support and 10 individually leased homes to young adults who are homeless. Visit for more information.

MIRCI Youth Drop-In Center, Columbia, SC
Serves youth between the ages of 17-24 who are homeless or are at risk of being homeless by providing access to basic needs, behavioral healthcare, and referral to community partners for housing, medical, legal, education, and employment resources. For information about the Youth Drop-In Center call (803) 799-0331.

MIRCI Youth Housing Program, Columbia, SC
This program is being developed. Call (803) 799-0331 for more information.

Transitions Youth Program, Columbia, SC links 18-24-year olds with case management, programs, and classes, including education and job training programs. Visit or call (803) 708-4861 for more information.

Carolina Youth Development Center, North Charleston, SC has opened NuHouse, a transitional house for young adults between the ages of 18 and 21 who were in foster care in the past. For more information call (843) 266-5200.

Sea Haven Transitional Living Program, Myrtle Beach, SC helps youth 13-21 who are homeless by providing permanent housing through their rental assistance program. Sea Haven staff also help with filling out job applications and interviewing for jobs. They’ll even help you with getting your GED, Trade Certificate, or College Degree. For more information, call (843) 213-1133.

These programs can help you with both housing and other resources as you transition out of care. Your caseworker is also a good resource to help you with housing. Don’t forget to check out housing and other assistance through the SCDSS Independent Living Program.